I’m going to get straight into this. This has to be the easiest choc chip muffin recipe in the entire universe. No mixer needed (phew, I hate cleaning the damn thing). Just two bowls, measuring spoons, a whisk and a spatula. That’s it. Couldn’t be easier (did I already say that?).
These are perfect. Would you look at those crispy tops?
I wanted something simple and easy to make for breakfast to have with my cup of tea, so I was rifling through my bookmarked recipes, searching relentlessly for something that would fill that hole in my belly. For most of the recipes I didn’t have all the ingredients, but these are as simple as you can get.
So, melt your butter. Seriously, the best thing about this is that it doesn’t have to be softened like in most recipes. You just melt it. I hate softened butter because I forget to take it out the night before to soften. It makes me growl. Literally. Okay, so pour the butter into a bowl and leave to cool.
Whilst that’s cooling, in a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Give this a whisk. Then add the chocolate chips, and whisk these in too, just to make sure that they are fully combined. Set this bowl aside.
Add the sugar to the cooled butter, and whisk it in till it’s combined. Then add the eggs and whisk those in till combined. Finally, whisk in the milk and vanilla extract. At this point the mixture should be smooth and thick, but still quite runny.
Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture. Pour in the wet mixture. And fold it in with a spatula. That’s it. You’re done. Fin. End. Okay, not quite because they need baking, but you know what I mean. Spoon the mixture into a twelve hole muffin tin (lined or unlined. Although make sure to grease the pan if unlined).
Sprinkle some spare choc chips onto the unbaked muffins. This will make them all the more inviting. I went gung-ho with mine, and poured them all into the batter. Just imagine my exasperated face.
Then bake at 218°C for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 190°C and bake for 13-15 minutes. Allow to cool for about ten minutes, because the chocolate will be piping hot. I learned that from experience. And I’ve got the burn mark to prove it.
- 2 & ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 218 degrees celcius. If not using cupcake cases, then grease a twelve hole muffin tray. Otherwise, line the tray with cupcake cases.
- Melt the butter in a pan and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. Give this a whisk and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cooled butter, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into the dry. Gently fold together until just combined.
- 4. Divide the batter into the 12 muffin cups and bake at 218 degrees Celcius for 5 minutes, then turn the oven heat down to 190 degrees Celcius and bake for another 13-15 minutes. Cool for about 5-10 minutes and enjoy warm.