I rarely make cookies or biscuits more than once. Because I’m never satisfied with how they turn out. The cookie could always be more crispier or more softer, or could have more chocolate or fruit in it. I’m not a cookie expert. But my cookie fussiness means I know a good cookie when I see one. This is a recipe I will definitely keep for forever and ever.
And I may have found the most perfect autumnal cookie recipe of all time.
I call it an autumnal recipe because it’s full of spices and homely smells. It makes home just that much more cosy, just as it should be when there’s a chill in the air and the trees are turning all shades of orange, red and yellow.
These are cranberry white chocolate cookies. With the addition of macadamia, cinnamon and orange. I promise you, these cookies are delicious. Yes, yes, anything can be called delicious, you say. But I say that some things are delicious. But these are delicious. There’s a difference, you see.
I was on a last minute search of cookies to take to my uncle’s house when these caught my eye on Pinterest. The only back up I had was an extra orange, in case I had to make these again if the first attempt was awful. I needn’t have bothered. These are perfect. The recipe is perfect.
Anyway, describe the cookie, you demand. Okay. I love the vibrancy of cranberries. Their deep red colour is gorgeous. These are dried by the way, so they add some chewiness to the cookie. I also added extra white chocolate, because you can’t ever go wrong with white chocolate and cranberry together. Cinnamon for a hint of spice (this will make home smell like home). I added just a little less cinnamon than the recipe asked for, but then I added some orange zest. Because cranberry and orange are a match made in heaven. Add as little or as much as you want. It has a soft and tender crumb, although if you eat these while they’re warm (I insist you do), then the outside of it is perfectly crispy. And it’s brilliant with the just melted white chocolate.
Just look at them. Don’t they look amazing? I just love love the colour of cranberries.
- 115g softened unsalted butter
- 75g granulated sugar
- 60g soft light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 155g plain flour
- 100g rolled oats
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- 155g chopped white chocolate
- 70g cranberries
- 20g macadamia nuts
- Cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar with an electric mixer till light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and egg till just combined.
- Add in the flour, rolled oats, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and orange zest till combined.
- Stir in the cranberries, macadamia nuts and white chocolate.
- Refrigerate the dough for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180degrees C.
- Scoop tablespoons of dough and roll into evenly sized balls. Arrange onto a parchment lined cookie tray, about two inches apart and bake for 12-14 mins.
- Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
- Happy Baking!